Wednesday 4 March 2015

The first slum I visited in 2005

I should first tell you about last night.  It was a beautiful evening and F & I decided we should go for a walk around Hauz Khas lake.  We were there just as the sun was setting and it was beautiful:
On the way we met these little monkeys:

...before visisting a local art gallery and a coffee shop. Cinnamon frappe for me - although it was almost the ubiquitous fresh lime soda.

Today I went back to Chandapuri which is the slum I first visited when I first came to Asha in 2005. I have been back on one occasion since.  We were met by the CHVs, one of whom remembered my wife. (How do they do it?)
I also met Ishitha on the left who is a new member of the office staff (and therefore entitled to share the biscuits, Shubhra!) She started yesterday and is on an orientation course at present.

The building has changed a great deal - but here, as in Seelampur, most of their computers are out of action, waiting for replacements.

I also met Aqhilac, or Aki, who has completed his degree and is working part time at the New Zealand High Commission, while studying via a correspondence course.  In his spare time he is teaching and encouraging 32 children from his slum who are coming up behind him.  He shares with them both his knowledge and his experience, including how he overcame his difficulties to acieve what he has.  He has 3 younger siblings at University and a younger brother still at school.  He tells me that his family are very proud of him and feels he could not have achieved all this without the constant support of Asha for which he is very grateful.
After the clinic it was back to the office where I joined Dr Asher and the Asha staff in a workshop, concentrating mainly on diabetes. I followed most of it although it was mainly in Hindi!  That is Subodh from Seelampur waving at the back:
And now we're off to a dim sum restaurant for dinner...!



No comments:

Post a Comment