Tuesday 3 March 2015

Better weather, better traffic

So the Delhi sun has come out and the morning commute to Seelampur was straightforward. 
This is a huge slum of 38,000 people, the same population as my home town, Yeovil, UK. It occupies a much smaller area of course.
Another day brought another consulting room:
 I really enjoyed my clinic session this morning, very ably supported by Subodh and the team of CHVs who help to run the clinic.  Today we had 2 consultation rooms running. Dr Asher is a retired GP from UK who is here for a few weeks.  She ran the antenatal clinic while I saw the medical cases.
Here is my consulting room from outside:
And here is Subodh on the right who translates for me while I consult with Sunila who is President of one of the six Muhila Mundals (women's groups) at Seelumpur.
After the clinic, Dr Asher and I shared a ride back and chatted about our experiences with Asha and how we could help improve services. We found a very common understanding between us.  She is holding a tutorial with staff tomorrow and I will try to attend if time allows.

I popped into to the Asha Office on the way home, partly to make sure they were coping without me, and partly to ensure that they shared the biscuits I brought them, with Ayesha!

I am being very well looked after: I was brought a cup of coffee as soon as I got in, and here is a picture of the delicious meal we ate last night:
That is a stuffed dosa on the right and the main dish is a delicious south Indian vegetable samber.  Behind the Kingfisher can is a dish of "gunpowder".  It sounds alarming but is a beautifully flavoured and textured relish made with sesame seeds, red chiles, garlic and no doubt a few other ingredients! Altogether wonderful!






No comments:

Post a Comment