Monday 9 March 2015

On the buses

Wow! What a great day I just had!  Today I joined Soni for a mobile clinic session.  The bus was already parked at Hanuman Camp south of the Asha Office:
This is a small slum with only about 300 homes, and no community building to work in.  So the bus is the venue for clinics, women's group and children's group meetings, interviews and meetings with students etc. This is inside the bus:
And here is the view of the slum from my window:
After the clinic, Soni kindly took me for a walk through the slum, a community of rag pickers who collect refuse and sort it before selling it for recycling.  The housing is poor quality and tiny but there are clean toilets, access to water and concrete paths with good drains.
There is still time for play:
...and knitting!
Then we went back to the office where I met up with Usha who took me into her own slum, Ekta Vihar, so that I could see the beautiful new community building, where the Bal Mandal (Children's Group were in the middle of having a meeting.


The Bal Mandal told me how pleased they were with the building.  Finally Usha took me to the home of a lovely family in Ekta Vihar who we have watched grow up over the last 10 years.  I was able to have a long chat before coming home.





No comments:

Post a Comment