Monday 2 March 2015

Back in Mayapuri!

Last night I was kept awake by loud neighbours and then a thunderstorm! I woke excited to be going back to visit Mayapuri slum again. First we had to negotiate the Delhi traffic made worse by lots of standing water.  Breathe in!
Then my excellent driver helps me negotiate my way to the community building via well placed bricks.  Spare a though for Thressi, the Asha staff member who walks this way every day to work! And of course the people who live amongst it.
I was pleased to see on the notice board memories of my last visit, meeting little Pooja:
The clinic was quite short due to the mud, and the difficulty people had getting out of their homes. We had lunch before I sat down with Thressi and the Community Health Volunteers and we revised lifestyle advice for diabetics together. They showed me some beautiful clay money boxes that the children had made to raise funds for the Bal Mandal (children's group) I bought one!
That is Gobi on the right, who is the computer teacher.  I gatecrashed one of his lessons:
And then I met these three little ones; Asha, Parti and Jyoti.  We had a game of throw the harti (elephant):
Well, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", you know!





No comments:

Post a Comment