Friday 6 July 2012

Not much time for pics today...

Time has passed today and I've realised I haven't had many chances for pics for the blog! So today will have to be a bit briefer...

I just thought I should show a bit of life without Asha.  This is a slum that I pass everyday on my way in to work.  I remember it from all the years I've been coming to Delhi.  It really doesn't look a nice place to live. A little further on we pass a flyover where people are living with no other shelter, longterm!  It helps me realise how much the people living in Asha slums have achieved...with Asha's help.

I spent the morning in the clinic with Dr S once again and feel that I have now got a grasp on practising medicine in this culture and with these limitations.  Next week I am being let loose in some of the slums that have no regular doctor.  I am given to understand that that will happen - after a short intermission - more later!

This afternoon after another delicious lunch by Kiran, I met with Dr S and the other Asha Doc Dr R.  We spent 2 hours this afternoon chatting medicine and learning together.  We covered management of high blood pressure, looking at how it has changed in recent years and how we can change the practice and drug formulary at Asha.  I hope they enjoyed it half as much as I did!


Tonight is Sam's last night as official flatmate and so we are taking him out for a meal and are planning to see the latest Spiderman film at the local cinema.  Tomorrow is Saturday and time for a rest after a hectic week!

To finish with, and to brighten up an otherwise relatively pictureless blog I thought I'd show you my pic of the week:  The beautiful kids of Jeevan Nagar slum:


2 comments:

  1. Yes. Seeing slums like that and interacting with the people there on a daily basis have a way of changing you and your priorities for ever. May you continue to live out God's love in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how that slum got to be a familiar sight for me. Wish it wasn't that way...
    Also, enjoy the cinema! I found it quite an experience! :)

    ReplyDelete