Thursday 5 July 2012

Feelin' hot hot hot!

Phew! Today seemed to be hotter than ever - and humid and I've been working where A/C is just a dream!

Started in clinic as usual this morning.  We saw a case of malaria in a lady who had visited her village in another state. Lots of questions from Dr S and lots of lessons for both Sam and I!  Halfway through, the Australian TV team arrived (ABC) to interview Dr S.  They are doing a show about the use of  "generic" as opposed to branded drugs and the risks to patients when they are not regulated.  She was a Pro!





Had lunch again in Freddy's office - more delicious light Indian dishes sent in by Kiran, and rice and paratha made in the Asha kitchen.  Freddy has been teaching Sam and I to eat like an Indian using our hands as a scoop and the thumb to flick the food into the mouth.  I got rather sticky and reverted to a spoon!

After lunch I went off to Kusumper Pahadi where I met this little crowd:


On the right in the pink is Rani and in the yellow Pushpa, an Asha nurse.  Pushpa ran the brief antenatal clinic while I watched and took notes to do a report for Kiran later.  They really do a very good job given the difficult situation! After that I met all the students presently at University from Kusumpur Pahadi - including 2 who had just heard they had been admitted a few days ago! Then I had a chat to the kids, meeting the present vice president (age 13), secretary (age 11) and treasurer (age 12) of the Bal Mandal (Children's group). They told me what each of them did and the campaigns they had run during the year against alcohol abuse, educating the slum about Tb, and looking after their elderly neighbours. I also saw their English exercise books and they tried to teach me a little Hindi!

Then we went for a wander and visited some of the businesses that we had visited last year which had received mini bank loans.  A mother and daughter who run a beauty salon, opposite the other daughter and her husband's shop and travel business. The latter business had been struggling last year when a family member had been ill so it was good to hear they were now back up on their feet again.  Then there were the 2 little stationary shops, where last year - in one of them we had bought some little notebooks.

It was over 4 years since my youngest son visited this slum with us but this lady Tanpika, pictured with her son and daughter remembered that his name was Nick!  This is so embarrassing as I can't remember half their names after 5 minutes! Ask Rani who kept reminding me!


After the heat of today, and because Jake has been off with exhaustion, the house decided we needed SALT!  So we got out the Pringles and Pistachios and I cooked a veggie pasta with salt and I bought some salted lassi!  Jake seems to have perked up now!


No comments:

Post a Comment